Urban dance is alive and well in Toronto

Some of the most underrated and outstanding performances in the dance community are those from the urban dance style. “Breaking,” the foundation of urban dance forms, finds its roots in the hip-hop world, which began in the early 1970s. It’s a style that continues to grow and evolve.
Created by York’s dance alumna, Deanne Kearney, BreakinGround and NextSteps presented Urban Myth, a series of choreographic pieces based in urban dance styles such as breaking, popping, locking, krump, waacking, and house. Performing such pieces were some of the best b-boys and b-girls in the city: Amadeus “Primal” Marquez, Caroline “Lady C” Fraser,Anthony “Illz” Put,Mariano “Glizzi” Abarca, Caitlin “Caddy” Superville, and notable dance companies such as Footnotes Elite, Lions of Zion, Ground Illusionz, Twisted Ankles, Northbuck, The Moon Runners, and The Waaquettes. As part of Toronto’s Fringe Festival, the show ran from January 7 to 17. Performed downtown at the Factory Theatre Mainspace on Bathurst, the hour-long, informal performance presented each urban dance style through choreography based on the motif of heroes and villains in the modern city.
Unlike classical and traditional dance performances, the audience was encouraged to make noise throughout the show, reflecting the interactive nature of urban dance. The show was closed with a final dance circle that the audience participated in, allowing them to feel less separated from the stage, created a positive and communal environment.
The most outstanding pieces included one performed by Footnotes Elite and choreographed by Glizzi Abarca, entitled Heroes, Lady C Fraser’s solo inspired by pop legend Prince, entitled A Siren Sound, and Primal Marquez’s Good People/Bad Things.
Footnotes Elite proved to be an extraordinarily clean group with precise and intricate movements. Though each dancer’s movements were entirely unique from the others, the group still maintained a coherent and impressive breaking performance.
Award-winning dance artist, Lady C, stole the show with her fabulous performance to Prince’s “the Ballad Of Dorothy Parker.” Known for her mind-blowing locking skills, Lady C proved her sophistication in every movement. Locking, a funky hip-hop form, involves the ability to transition from smooth, sliding movements to a sudden freeze for a pose and back to movement. Although a very entertaining form, locking requires an intense amount of strength for stability, as well as the ability to let loose and free the legs for quick and easy movement. Lady C’s performance revealed impressive locking, highlighting her ability and personality. Even more remarkable than her precision was her performance quality: her cheeky, bold and steamy character, who left the audience cheering for more.
Closing the show was the highly provocative and relevant piece choreographed by Primal Marquez, which portrayed the reality of our society contrasted to one portrayed in comic books and films, one where the hero doesn’t always win in the end. Reflecting mature themes, the piece suggested topics of addiction, abuse, and mental illness through each dancer’s unique style. One double-jointed performer used his range of movement to his advantage, wowing the crowd with his ability to loop his arms and wave them around his head, all the way down around to his back. Although verging on the edge of melodrama, the piece spoke its message clearly.
Overall, the show was a strong and cohesive presentation of urban dance. Many of the dancers, having trained with the best of the best, proved their worth as some of the top hip-hop artists in the city, if not, the country. For more information about the show and these Toronto-based performers, head to breakinground.ca or fringetoronto.com.

Kendra Guidolin, Contributor
Featured illustration courtesy of Christopher Lai