A new Aboriginal sculpture on campus for York eyes only

Bernice Afriyie | Arts Editor
Featured image: The unveiling of “Ahqahizu” outside of York’s Lions Stadium by Inuit carvers Ruben Komangapik and Koomuatuk Curley. | Michael Zusev

National Aboriginal Day in Canada should be an important day of reflection for all Canadians. One day alone cannot possibly account for the racist actions of the Canadian government towards Aboriginal people; the horrors and traumatic experiences of residential schools; or the loss of Aboriginal culture, land, lives and faiths. On June 21, York attempted to solidify its devotion to Aboriginal studies and awareness at York by unveiling a granite sculpture created by Inuit carvers Ruben Komangapik and Koomuatuk “Kuzy” Curley with a team of assistants and apprentices, including students from the Department of Visual Art and Art History and members of the neighbourhood community.

“Ahqahizu,” the sculpture commissioned by the Mobilizing Inuit Cultural Heritage, or MICH, was a $3.5 million collaborative effort between various art departments at York and was supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada and other organizations. The research initiative started in 2012 and employs Inuit and non-Inuit community members and artists.

The unveiling of “Ahqahizu” near the York Lions Stadium opened with traditional drumming by Iqaluit musician Mathew Nuqingaq and songs from Juno award-winning Inuk singer and songwriter Susan Aglukark.

“It’s wonderful to have the opportunity to celebrate Indigenous and Inuit culture in such a visible and powerful way on our campus,” said York President and Vice-Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri to York Media. “In a multicultural city such as Toronto, this sculpture will create opportunities for dialogue about Inuit art and culture — and we at York are delighted to be part of this important conversation.”

“Mobilizing Inuit Cultural Heritage celebrates the contribution of Inuit visual arts and performance to Inuit language preservation, social well-being and cultural identity,” said York Research Chair, curator and art history professor Anna Hudson to the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design. “Working with the artists over this past year on the creation of ‘Ahqahizu’ has been an exceptional realization of this celebration, and a deep intercultural learning opportunity. It has opened our campus to increased indigenization of university education.”

“We had to be very patient while carving to get the right balance when working on the motion of the bicycle kick, like floating in the air. This project is a great example for Inuit people that we can accomplish anything if we are determined,” said Curley to York Media.

Komangapik agreed, adding, “I’m very happy to promote our culture and heritage through art with the help of MICH.”

1 Comment
Birdie

Bienvenus sur G+ ) « Trés peu de monde l&ietuo;uqilrss » Lol ^^ Trés peu de Kikoolol à l’heure actuelle; et c’est tant mieux