York and Toronto Life reach settlement

tlife
After clarification printed in Toronto Life, York and the magazine agreed to settle.

York is no longer pursuing action against Toronto Life for their October 2013 article, “Fortress York.” A settlement was reached betweenYork and the magazine in December 2013.
In the February edition of Toronto Life, a clarification was published acknowledging York’s efforts to “make the campus as safe as possible.” The clarification also says the magazine “never meant to suggest that York is the only university in Toronto faced with challenges of addressing violence against women.”

“Toronto Life is very pleased York University has decided not to pursue legal action,” Toronto Life’s editor, Sarah Fulford, told Excalibur.

In an article on J-Source, Fulford is quoted saying, “We haven’t paid any money,” in reference to the settlement. “They’ve backed down and decided not to pursue legal action.”
Joanne Rider of York media says York agreed to the dismissal of its action in a settlement, but she is unable to discuss the specific terms of the settlement.

“Fortress York,” written by award-winning writer Katherine Laidlaw, detailed York’s history with sexual assaults over the past 10 years and how the administration has worked to improve safety on campus.

The article prompted backlash from some in the York community. President and Vice-Chancellor  Mamdouh Shoukri released a
statement condemning the article for using an “out-of-context statistic to make sweeping and mislead- ing generalizations that foster an atmosphere of fear in the York community and beyond, and cause undue reputational and other damages to the university.”
Hamid Adem
News Editor